Laminate flooring is very hardwearing, easy to clean and very simple maintain. However laminate flooring, like anything in your home, needs proper care and attention to keep it looking great for years to come. Your best daily routine is is vacuuming, soft sweeping and damp (not wet) mopping at times. Most brands carry a 10 to 25 year residential warranty against staining and fading.
Taking care of your laminate floor
While laminate flooring will stand up to wear you will still need to follow theses simple steps to maintain your floor:
- Vacuum or dust mop to remove loose dirt or grit.
- Use a good quality mop, preferably microfiber.
- Use a damp (not wet) mop with warm water.
- Do not use polishes or waxes.
- Never clean with abrasives, scouring powder, steel wool or Amonia
- Wipe up spills immediately
- Don’t allow standing liquids on your floor, including pet water bowls
It’s important that you use a good quality microfiber mop, as this will mean that you won’t need harsh chemicals to clean your floor. If you do want to use a solution, we recommend a non-toxic vinegar solution. It not only restores shine but also works as a disinfectant. It’s safe, inexpensive and environmentally friendly. Simply mix a solution of one cup of white distilled vinegar with one gallon of warm water.
Protecting your laminate floor from damage
- Place proactive felt pads at the bottom of your furniture especially the legs of chairs, which are constantly being moved.
- Don’t drag heavy furniture or appliances across the floor.
- Place doormats at all entry points of your home to avoid walking grit, dirt and stones into your home.
- Vacuum and sweep with a soft brush regularly.
In the event of damage to your floor (which is unlikely to occur in most homes) it is possible to have a plank replaced. Fitted properly, the new plank should be nearly indistinguishable from the rest.
For oil, paint, permanent marker, tar or rubber heel marks use a neutral cleaner on a light coloured cloth, magic sponge or carefully apply nail polish remover as needed.
For blood, fruit juice, wine, beer or sauce, use warm water and a non-abrasive cleaner such as diluted washing up liquid.
For candle wax or chewing gum, first harden with ice, and then very gently scrape off the area. Wipe with warm water on a clean light-colored cloth.
Follow these tips and your floor will stay looking great for longer. If you have any questions, or would like more information and advice on our products, please visit our showroom give us a call on 0141 638 0968. If you would like a quote please don’t hesitate to contact us with your requirements.