Here at First Floors Glasgow we have some useful tips for choosing a wood floor for your home.
At First Floors we offer solid wood, engineered wood, wood effect laminate and wood effect vinyl flooring. Whether you are looking for a dark, exotic wood, white washed or anything in between we have a wide range of products. We also offer carbonized strand woven bamboo which is the fastest growing and hardest wood available. It’s also very environmentally friendly. Here are our top tips for choosing a wood floor:
1. Visit your local independent retailer. Often you find prices that are equal to or cheaper than the larger retailers with chains, but with a better level of service as they offer a more personal touch. With so many advancements in the wood flooring, laminate and vinyl industry, you often find that smaller independent retailers have more expert knowledge and can offer a higher level of expert advice.
2. Check that the floor you wish to put down is suitable for the room in which you are wanting a new floor. Some floor coverings aren’t suitable for damp areas, and some subfloors only allow for certain products. Bathrooms and kitchens need careful consultation as they can become very wet and need regular cleaning. It’s important to get it right!
3. Make sure you get an accurate quote to avoid nasty surprises at the end of the job. A free home consultation is ideal as you will get an accurate quote for free and can make an informed decision as to whether to get your new floor installed and can work within your budget. It’s worth remembering that the cheapest price isn’t always the best – and you should always find somewhere that offers a price promise and will match other quotes so you know you are getting a good price. A comprehensive quote should include fitting, underlay, threshold bars and any doors that need trimming.
4. Make sure you get your room measured by a professional, they will be able to calculate the wastage that you need to allow for so that your job doesn’t run short mid way through! It’s essential that someone professional does this as they will know exactly how many packs of the product you will need.
5. See a sample of the product in your own home, as different woods look different in various lights. What might look pale in the shop could look dark in a different room – we find that with the luxury vinyl especially, this can change according to the room decor and light aspect. Many independent retailers will bring samples to you or let you take a sample home.
6. Make sure your new wooden floor is fitted by an expert, a poorly fitted floor is a waste of money and will cost you if you need to get anything corrected. All of our fitters are trusted employees, we don’t use contractors as we feel it’s important to make sure that our staff who enter your home or business are nothing but professional.
7. Buy the best floor that you can for your home, it will last a lifetime so it’s important to see this as an investment. A good floor covering will add value to your property and make it much more sellable.
For a free no obligation quote contact Wood Flooring Glasgow on 0141 638 0968 and we will be happy to make an appointment.